Business Objects Audit - BI Warehouse for BI4
What is it?
The BI Warehouse (BIW) is an administrator’s business objects audit tool designed to provide a continuous rapid audit of SAP BusinessObjects 4.1/4.2 deployments, in particular Web Intelligence documents, Crystal Reports and universes (unv/unx).
Information is held at data provider/object level, in the first instance to provide impact analysis based on the use of specific objects within a universe, e.g. The “Sales Revenue” object is about to change in the Sales universe, which existing documents/data providers will be affected?
Typical questions the BIW can answer
- What document/data providers use specific objects from a universe?
- Are the objects used as results, conditions or scope objects?
- Which universe/universe objects are not used in any documents?
- What SQL is used in my Webi documents? Which can then identify tables and columns used.
- Which documents/universes cannot be opened?
- Which documents contain invalid local variables?
- Which documents take the most time to refresh?
- Which objects have been added/removed from a universe?
- Which objects have been added/removed from a Webi query?
- Which documents contain personal/BEx Query data providers?
- Which documents have been created/last modified by a specific user?
- How does the document/universe compare with other clusters?
- What are my largest documents and where are they?
- Which Tables/Columns are used in Crystal Reports.
BIW in a Nutshell
- The BIW is a Java application.
- Developed using the published SAP Software Development Kit APIs.
- Simple guided install using Installshield.
- Configure/audit using BIW Desktop application.
- Regular audit by SAP BusinessObjects scheduled job. Simple set and forget technology..
- Requires the use of an existing SQL Server or Oracle database.
- Audits all Web Intelligence documents in public and personal folders.
- Captures a documents data provider objects and local variables
- Audits all unv and unx universes.
- Will audit instances if required.
- Supports multiple clusters.
- Initial run audits all documents within the deployment, subsequent runs only audit new or changed documents.
- If the BusinessObjects system goes down during the initial BIW audit it will continue on the next scheduled run.
- Uses proven scheduling process.
- Builds history with every run.
- Provided with universe and starter reports for further analysis.
"Pleased to hear that BIW is now available for BI4.1. We have just upgraded from XIR3 to BI4.1 and will be looking to upgrade BIW as soon as everything has settled down. We find it an invaluable tool. It is able to provide a fair bit of information but the prime usage for us is in identifying what objects are used where. We don’t have a massive installation (around 500 reports and 30 universes) but it is too big to monitor manually. We recently created a new calendar table and wanted to replace the old one with it. BIW made this a simple task as we could tackle it one universe at a time with a single report listing all the business reports that used the calendar derived objects. These were amended and then we re-audited the system to ensure we hadn’t missed any. It was also used a fair bit in the tidy up exercises that we ran prior to the upgrade".
Business Applications Manager, International Soft Drinks Manufacturer, GB
Email to arrange a business objects audit evaluation in your environment
or call +44 (0) 1225 832105
We are currently looking for resellers around the world. Contact us if you would be interested in being able to supply the BI Warehouse to your clients.